For Individuals re-entering the fire service:
The employing Fire Chief/Chief Officer must submit the employment documentation as per AL Administrative Code:
- Notice of Employment
- Verification of previous Alabama Fire Fighter I certification
- Physical Statement
- Current successful CPAT
- Certification in Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operation (see below for more information)
The Certification/Testing Office will review the individual’s record to verify individual’s current status.
The Chief Officer will be notified in writing by the Certification/Testing Office if the individual requires the Recertification course to reinstate the Fire Fighter I certification.
For Recertification, the individual will be required to successfully complete the Fire Fighter I Recertification course to include:
- Fire Fighter I Challenge Exam - 75 questions.
- Questions are validated to the current Instructional Manual and the current textbook, IFSTA’s, Essentials of Fire Fighting and Fire Department Operations, 6th edition.
- Skills (JPR) Exam – 2 randomly selected Individual Skills Sheets
- Two randomly selected skills are pulled by the AFC Certification/Testing Division for testing at the end of the course.
POINTS TO CONSIDER
- An Individual that was certified to Fire Fighter I prior to 2009 and is not currently Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operations certified is eligible for a Challenge exam for HMAO.
- If the individual is actively engaged in an approved postsecondary degree program in Fire Science or closely related subject or a certificate or degree program in Emergency Medical Services the expiration can be deferred..
- Reinstatement of the Firefighter I certification shall reinstate any certifications expired under this provision.