The IAFF HazMat Training Operations- course is funded through the Assistance for Local Emergency Response Training (ALERT) under DOT’s Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA). The training provides emergency responders with preparation in hazmat responses with a focus on transportation of crude oil, ethanol and other flammable liquids by rail.
The program uses a multifaceted strategy for derailment response at the Operations Level through online and instructor led training. The Awareness portion is approximately 4 hours of online coursework and is a prerequisite to participate in the instructor led training. The classroom training is 16 hour (2-day) instruction with the first day of instructor facilitation and second day of practical skill stations. Students are required to be fit-tested, and have SCBA as well as Structural Fire Fighter Protective Clothing on the final day of training.
Through this course, the IAFF is working to ensure that all emergency responders have the knowledge and skills to safely stabilize and/or mitigate incidents involving hazmats/WMDs with a focus on rail response in accordance with:
- OSHA 29 CFR 1910.120, Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response
- NFPA® 472: Standard on Competence of Responders to Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction Incidents
- Chapter 4: Competencies for Awareness Level Personnel
- Chapter 5: Core Competencies for Operations Level Responders
- Chapter 6: Competencies for Operations Level Responders Assigned to Mission-Specific Responsibilities
- Section 6.2: Personal Protective Equipment
- Section 6.6: Product Control
- NFPA® 1971: Standard on Protective Ensembles for Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting
- NFPA® 1851: Standard on Selection, Care, and Maintenance of Protective Ensembles for Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting
- NFPA® 1994: Standard on Protective Ensembles for First Responders to CBRN Terrorism Incidents
This course has been scheduled for December 14-15, 2016. Please call 1-800-241-2467 to register.
Students who successfully complete the training will also be able to get reimbursement, up to a total of $75.00, to cover travel expenses.